Linen Fibre – 1kg Bag
Flax or linen is strong, absorbs moisture, has no allergenic properties and softens with continued use. It has a wide variety of applications. It is used in clothing, furnishings, household fabrics, yarn and rope.
Linen fibre is highly regarded for spinning and weaving for several reasons:
- Strength and Durability: Linen is one of the strongest natural fibres available, making it ideal for weaving sturdy, long-lasting fabrics. Linen fabrics are known to withstand wear and tear over time, which is why they are often used for items like bed linens, tablecloths, and clothing.
- Breathability: Linen has excellent breathability, which means it allows air to flow through the fabric easily. This property makes linen garments comfortable to wear in hot weather because they help keep the body cool and dry by wicking moisture away from the skin.
- Moisture Absorption and Quick Drying: Linen can absorb a significant amount of moisture without feeling damp. It has the ability to wick moisture away from the body, which contributes to its cooling effect in warm weather. Additionally, linen dries quickly, making it a practical choice for beachwear, towels, and other items that may get wet.
- Natural Lustre: Linen fibres have a natural sheen or luster, which adds an attractive visual element to the fabrics created from them.
- Anti-Bacterial and Hypoallergenic: Linen has natural antibacterial properties, which can help reduce odours and promote hygiene. It is also hypoallergenic, making it suitable for individuals with sensitive skin or allergies.
- Eco-Friendly: Linen is made from the flax plant, which requires fewer pesticides and fertilizers compared to some other crops used for fibre production. It is also biodegradable and recyclable, making it an eco-friendly choice.
- Versatility: Linen fibres can be spun into various yarn thicknesses, allowing weavers and spinners to create a wide range of fabrics, from lightweight and breathable summer garments to heavier upholstery and home textile materials.
- Ageing Gracefully: Linen fabrics tend to improve with age, becoming softer and more comfortable with each wash and wear. This characteristic is often appreciated in linen clothing and household items.
- Easy to Dye: Linen takes dyes well, allowing for a wide range of colours and designs in finished linen products.