Drop Spindle – Student
A great student top whorl spindle with a fixed whorl and screw hook.
- Solid silver beech hardwood
Drop spindles are an inexpensive and portable way to produce homemade yarn. Spinning wool on a drop spindle is a great way to make yarn for all your crafting projects.
|80mm, 65g (3⅛”, 2¼oz)
How to use a drop spindle
- Assemble the spindle. Tie a leader (a piece of yarn 1m/40”) to the shaft under the whorl, wrap it around the shaft and under the hook.
- Spin the spindle clockwise and allow the leader to join onto your prepared fibres.
- While keeping the leader pinched with one hand, draft the fibres down.
- Slowly slide your fingers back up the drafted fibres allowing the twist to follow. Once twisted, the yarn will support the weight of the spindle.
- Keep the spindle spinning while drafting more yarn until the spindle reaches the floor.
- Wind the yarn around the shaft to form a cone & then repeat the process. Slide the cone off the shaft and use either as a single or ply 2 together with the spindle spinning anti-clockwise.